Hey yall!

Welcome! My blog is about 2/3 OTTB retraining and 1/3 newbie eventer (former hunt seat/equitation girl). Please follow along with my experiences, share insight, and enjoy!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012 Goals

I keep looking at my calendar and all of the things I want to do this next year with my horses, thankfully I have written down goals and milestones for us.  As I work in the fitness industry we always stress making goals that are S.M.A.R.T.  That is, specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time sensitive.  Instead of saying "I want to lose some weight." You'd say "I'd like to lose 15lbs in 20 weeks." or whatever.

So on that note-here we have some goals....don't judge me if I don't follow the above plan though!! :) 


1.  Compete!! I am planning at this point to event Lego.  So my plan, since there are fewer events than shows, is to get him used to being off the farm at some schooling hunter shows.  

a.  Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show on March 16-18 in Lexington, Virginia is a priority for us.  I really want to support this show, even though its not eventing, to help showcase what amazing athletes and fantastic riding partners OTTBs are.  
b.  I'd like to do a local schooling show or two before then, ideally one in late Feb, one in early March.
c.  I want to take him to a farm down the road to ride him there and see how he does in a different environment.  Ideally, at least twice, I need to call them and schedule it!! 
d.  Our First Event! Small, local-ish, schooling event!  Hopefully mid-late spring. I just want to survive it! 

2.  Stay healthy!  Both the horses and me!! :) ...Yeah, yeah I know, it doesn't follow the SMART principles...whatever. 

3.  Be able to complete Novice (or training?) level Dressage Tests
a.  work on bending, suppleness, straightness (oddly, its one of our main challenges), transitions
b.  work on our leads to become super consistent!!!

4.  Compete Chick! 
a.  just a few hunter shows, or dressage shows
b.  keep him healthy!

5.  Keep Connor healthy!! He's doing SOOO well, and I am SO unbelievably grateful for every single day we have with him!   We need to make sure his hooves stay healthy, and his muscle atrophy doesn't worsen significantly.  You can read more about Connor here

Addendum:  As I have just found out that THREE (!!!!!!) people read my blog I am adding a goal of posting 2x per week or more. Ideally I'd post every time I ride, but with three jobs,  I don't think I have any more hours in the day so twice per week sounds okay I guess!! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment